Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Liked on YouTube: Two Year Acting Program | Study of Acting as an Art Form | Maggie Flanigan Studio

Two Year Acting Program | Study of Acting as an Art Form | Maggie Flanigan Studio
http://www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/twoyearactingprogramnyc/ Meisner acting is the clearest and most organic form of actor training, encouraging the actor to work vividly from their imagination. My name is Meredith Howard and originally I am from Nashville Tennessee. Last summer I did the six week intensive. So that was 2010 and it was all that I was planning on doing, but I felt so much in love with the process here that I decided to enroll in the two year program. I just finished my first year. So I will come back in September to do the second year. What brought you to the Maggie Flanigan Studio? I actually started out as a classically trained dancer. I had always acted growing up in high school and a little bit in college, but I just felt like I had not really had an opportunity to study acting as an art form or grow as an artist and as an actress and really approach it with the respect and the delicacy of respecting your own career and artistry. So, that is what originally brought me to the Maggie Flanigan Studio was to give myself the time to develop in that regard. I had no idea how much I had to learn. How have you changed since you have been in the studio? I cannot even measure the ways that I have changed. It is not only in the classroom. I feel like a completely different person. I feel a lot more validated in my creative pursuits and in all aspects of my life. I feel that the work that I do in the studio has informed who I am, on the streets, at home and at work. I feel a lot more at ease with just who I am. It can not help bleed into making you a more realized person. How has the first year work affected your auditioning? I have definitely felt an increase in being called in for things and also in the way that I am received in the room. I feel a lot more confident. I feel that where I may not have gotten a call back before or maybe even just like putting myself into a situation where I previously would not have had the confidence to go into. The past couple of months I have been working and feeling little by little that I have realized my dreams become less of a daunting kind of unreachable thing and more of a reality. Do other people around you notice a change? Absolutely. Mostly my friends and some coworkers have noticed a huge change in me - and myself, I have noticed a huge change in me. It feels like I am finally on the right track, to be honest with you. What has specifically helped you grow here at the studio? Maggie. She holds such a high standard and you want so greatly to take advantage of every moment that you get to be in the room with her and I never felt like I was putting pressure on myself. It feels like I just am holding myself to a very high standard and taking myself very seriously. Because very opportunity that I have to be in that room and work with her is invaluable and I don’t want to miss a moment by being unprepared or not having the guts to really go for it. So Maggie really helped me grow in the studio. How do you work as an actor now compared to how you worked before? Before I came here I had no concept of how, just like any other art form, acting has techniques and crafting. I was kind of just going at it not really knowing what I was doing. Therefor I was not terribly successful with it. But I feel like I am developing the crafting and the preparation to support my artistry.. What makes the Meisner work special for you? It is just very human. I came from a dance background where I was very much trained to process things in my body. So for me with having that experience, I felt like Meisner was a really great progression for me because you really allow the entire instrument to go through these experiences. Specifically, in that regard, I feel like Meisner has been pretty invaluable. How do you like coming to life in the activity? There is no greater feeling to tell you the truth. It is addicting. It is what we are here for. It's what you live for as an actor. It is to have those moments. For more information about Meisner acting and the Maggie Flanigan Studio, visit the website or call (917) 789-1599. http://www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/twoyearactingprogramnyc/ Maggie Flanigan Studio Inc 153 West 27th Street #803 New York, New York 10001
via YouTube http://youtu.be/cuFI54ZNzfY

No comments:

Post a Comment