Saturday, September 3, 2016

Two Year Acting Program: Ashley Versher Interview

The two year acting program at the Maggie Flanigan studio provides Meisner training for actors who are serious about having long careers. In this video Ashley discusses why she chose the studio and how the training program has prepared her to work professionally.

What did you think acting training was like before you started studying at the Maggie Flanigan Studio?

I thought acting training was mostly to do with scene study. That is pretty much the kind of class that I think I have taken before. I had a little awareness of Meisner butI think I just thought you h=get in there, you get a scene, and you just work it. Whatever that was and somehow something might happen.

Two Year Acting Program | Ashley Versher Interview | 917-789-1599

Two Year Acting Program | Ashley Versher | 917-789-1599

What happened during the two-year program at Maggie Flanigan Studio that changed your perspective on training?

Well, when you get here, first of all, there are all of these different classes. I think that I had no idea or clue how they would affect me as an actor of their importance, and then you know you go into your first day of voice and movement, and it is just more of an outer body experience than I had imagined. I think that after a little bit of time you start to see that work translate into acting. I remember I had a day in Voice Class where was very sad because I had realized that I had been approaching the class in a very heady, technique, textbook way and I just realized that it was just like acting. You know, I had to approach it the same way. All of myself physically, vocally, and mentally present. So it is just my perspective is different, and I am extremely happy with it.

What did you learn about yourself during the two years that was a surprise or that changed you?

I think especially during the first year it is really about coming up with who you are and who you think you are. Some of those ideas and judgments I have been a very defensive person growing up and it is something that I always try to sweep under the rug, and it is something that is right there in my face that I have to confront and accept. It is not just a negative or positive thing. I learned so much about myself and the things I care about. The change comes into play I think because I feel like a trooper for the world now. I feel a little like current events and old past events in history matter so much to me really trying to be active socially and politically is somewhat that is a big thing for me. I have a load of feminist books now.

Now that you have finished the two-year program how do you feel about starting your professional career?

I ma nervous. I am excited because I feel prepared. I feel like was long as I take all of those skills that I was given here, and I sit and work hard because that is a huge part of this work it is s challenge. It is going o be a challenge professionally even when I am not in a classroom. I think that as long as I take those tools, I will get to where ever it is that I am going. But I am excited.

There are a lot of studios in New York. A lot of acting studios a lot of different techniques, why was this the only place for you to study?

I come from a musical background. I played the violin for a very, very long time. With an instrument, you pick it up, and some people have this beautiful natural talent but the way that I was trained was with fundamentals and with a foundation, and I was seeking that in acting. Because it is an art, just like music, jus like painting, these are all arts, and there are foundations that you need. I got that here and more. That comes from just the set up of this program, the structure and that it is mapped out for you. Charlie implants that in your brain. So there is a foundation that you are going to get here. You leave here feeling and knowing that you are an artist and really exploring now what that means to you and what you want now. “What do I want to do with that? That is the exciting part.

Learn More About the Two Year Acting Program

To learn more about the two year acting program and Meisner training at the Maggie Flanigan studio, call 917-789-1599 today.

The post Two Year Acting Program: Ashley Versher Interview appeared first on Meisner Acting | The Maggie Flanigan Studio | Call 917-789-1599.

No comments:

Post a Comment