Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Why Study the Meisner Technique at Maggie Flanigan Studio?

meisner technique maggie flanigan studio 10

The Meisner Technique is one of the most respected acting techniques that has been studied by many of the most recognized professional actors. In this video, Aviona Carrigan talks about her reasons for deciding to study the Meisner technique and why she chose the Maggie Flanigan studio.

Meisner technique Maggie Flanigan studio 10

Aviona Carrigan – Meisner Technique MaggieFlanigann Studio – Call  (917) 789-1599

Q: Aviona, what is your background in acting?

A: I don’t have a background in acting but I danced for 15 years and trained that way and I model professionally.

Q: Before you came into Maggie Flanigan Studio, did you study anywhere else? Did you study the Meisner technique?

A: Actually, I looked at several places before coming here. I spent a year and a half trying everything out. The first place I went to was a Meisner technique acting program. Some of the issues I found with that is that because I was a green actor, as they like to call me specifically, I was treated differently than most of the other students. It’s somewhat like a factory, really. I was just a number. I was like a paycheck for them. I didn’t really feel welcomed. Especially, with some of the other students, it felt very competitive when that’s not what I really wanted in a program. I wanted a home and a family and people to grow with.

author-pic

Other acting studios where I took classes felt very competitive. That was not what I was looking for. I wanted a home and a family and people to grow with.

Aviona CarriganTwo Year Meisner Acting Program

The second place I study wasn’t a Meisner-based program at all but I found that the students were lacking — what’s the right word for it? Motivation and wanting to actually put in the work and effort and everything in it, like they were just here to show up and here to play, it was like a hobby. I wanted somewhere that — one that felt like a family and everyone wanted to push each other and work together and grow.

Q: Why did you decide that the Meisner technique was the best acting technique for you?

A: It was something that I noticed — focused on bringing myself to the world or to the character. It was like looking within you. I noticed that it helped me with my listening, it helped me with my communication. It really grounded me. The other places I found didn’t create a sense of foundation, it was more of like, “Here’s some cute like not cute,” but some tools and things that you can add but it didn’t have a foundation to add it to and that’s what I wanted.

Q: You mentioned you danced professionally or danced for 15 years, you model. Why did you decide to commit to a two-year training program instead of just jumping into acting?

A: I wanted to approach acting the same way that I had approached dance. I think it’s really important to — within dance, you start on the floor. You stretch and you build strength and then you move to the bar and you work on your technique and then you go to the floor and you work on combinations. Eventually, you get to learn choreography and you get to perform. I wanted to have the same approach to acting as I did dance because I felt like that’s the best way to strengthen yourself.

Q: What were the specific steps that made you decide to come to Maggie Flanigan? You said you looked for a year and a half which is a long time.

meisner technique maggie flanigan studio 10

Meisner Technique Training – Aviona Carrigan at the Maggie Flanigan Studio – Call (917) 789-1599

A: I read so many books on technique which, honestly, it doesn’t really do anything justice. I really think you have to dive in there and learn what works best for you. Also, interviewing all the teachers and instructors. I honestly feel Charlie was the best fit for me after speaking with him. He’s one of those people that will tell you how it is and will honestly tell you what you don’t want to hear but what you need to hear and that’s what you need to grow.

Q: You’re balancing a job, you’re modeling, you’re still working. Why did you decide to take on not just the acting class but movement, voice, theater history, script analysis, all of the things we offer here?

A: I think knowledge is power. Especially in this industry that’s so competitive, why wouldn’t you want to know as much as you can know about the career you’re trying to have for a lifetime? I think voice training is so important and I was unaware of how untrained I was with my voice. The movement class has grounded me so much. I didn’t even know how to approach a script before and now taking script analysis or being in that class, I was like, “Oh, man. I was really clueless.” I just think it’s really important that you try to be as well-rounded as possible in something that you want to do forever.


Acting Classes NYC

Meisner Training at the Maggie Flanigan Studio

To learn more about the Messier Technique and the acting classes at the studio, call the Maggie Flanigan studio today at 917-789-1599.

The post Why Study the Meisner Technique at Maggie Flanigan Studio? appeared first on Meisner Acting - The Maggie Flanigan Studio New York NY - 917-789-1599.

No comments:

Post a Comment