Monday, March 5, 2018

Summer Acting Program NYC – Anesia Saunders

Summer acting programs at the Maggie Flanigan Studio include the six-week Meisner Summer Intensive, as well as other acting classes for professional actors. In this video Anesia Saunders discusses how the summer acting program helped her understand what it means to train as a serious actor. [caption id="attachment_9679" align="aligncenter" width="800"]Vest Summer Acting Programs NYC - Anesia Saunders - Maggie Flanigan Studio Summer Acting Programs NYC - Anesia Saunders - Maggie Flanigan Studio[/caption]

Summer Acting Program Interview

Q: Anesia, what did you think of acting classes and professional training before you started the six week Summer Meisner Intensive?

A: To train as a serious actor I thought it had a lot to do with just doing scene work. I've done some training and I've done to the acting classes before. I wasn't exactly sure of what it was to train as a serious actor. I was in for a big surprise. [post_author]

Q: What happened to you during this six weeks that changed your perspective on acting and training?

A: I think I've convinced myself that acting had nothing to do with myself but it was sacrifice of self. I think that that was true to an extent but I would say, that I learned it has so much to do with yourself. Knowing yourself. Knowing and being comfortable with who you are in order to really be a performer I think that's something that I learned.

Q: What did you learn about yourself that was a surprise and that changed you?

A: I just learn that I have, well I had and am still battling, fear of self. A lot of things that holds me back as a person just because of socialization. Some things that you feel you need to abide by to be a specific way but that's not conducive to being a performer. I was able to recognize those things this summer. The things that really are making me stagnant and break free from the and just explore and play, really have fun.

Q: Was there something specifically that happened in class, like a specific class, working on the activity, the scene, watching your classmates work, was there a role that Charlie kept giving you that you had to confront and realize this is a big issue and you can't move forward with that. Maybe I'm not going to be the actor or the performer that I hope to be.

A: The main thing that I really realized kept coming up was, "Are you afraid to defend yourself? Are you afraid to speak up for yourself?" That really was the issue and I had to confront that. I recognize in class I just had an epiphany and said aloud, "I've always been fearful of being an angry black woman stereotype." It was that day I went home and cried and realized Charlie helps me recognize that I am entitled to my feelings and I deserve to have them. Recognizing the power in that has opened so many doors for me.

Q: How would you describe Charlie as a teacher?

A: I would say Charlie is definitely someone that's going to push you. He pushed me and helped me to discover who I am and all my classmates. He is not going to let you slack off, you have to be present and bring your best foot forward to the table. I think it's that type of instructing that makes you the best you that you can be. Also, I joke and say I feel he was also my therapist because he really was able to read us and let us know the things that he saw that was holding us back from doing the best that we could do. The realizations I've had all of those things I owe it all to him. I really appreciate him as a teacher and I feel he's made me such a better performer.

Q: You mentioned you've had some training before. You've studied at other places, how does the work you've done in the past six seeks compared to the work that you've done previously?

A: I've taken acting classes here and there but this Summer Intensive, this opportunity to work consistently. For the time periods that were working and then the time that we're putting in out of class I feel like it was at times it felt like a lot, it was a lot of pressure, but I feel like it made all the difference having this time spent to really focus on the work and focus on training and focus on yourself all at the same time was so important. I just really appreciate it and I feel like it was exactly what I needed at the exact time. It was fate.

Q: What would you say to someone who maybe you have had some classes before, but maybe they're curious about studying here or another program. Maybe they just are like, "I don't have the time, I don't have the money." You know, "Six weeks is a long time, three times a week or two years is a long time." What would you say to that person that was holding themselves back from not doing something like this because of those reasons?

A: Similarly, I was coming up with a lot of excuses as to why. Like maybe this isn't something I should be doing, but I feel if you are interested in being a serious actor and this is what you want, excuses are just that. I, through this program, feel I learned so much. I feel like I've grown so much as a person. I've become more inspired. I feel like I know exactly what I need to do if I have-- If you are having the feeling of just wanting to become inspired again or to learn more about yourself, then you need to just go for it. That's what I did and it was such a pleasant surprise to myself, the things that I've discovered, such a knowledgeable experience. It was was everything and I feel it's worth it. It's more than worth it. [caption id="attachment_9594" align="aligncenter" width="800"]students in the Meisner summer acting program during class at the studio with Karen Chamberlain Meisner Summer Acting Programs - Maggie Flanigan Studio - 917-789-1599[/caption]

Apply Today to the Summer Acting Program at Maggie Flanigan Studio

The summer acting program at the Maggie Flanigan Studio is one of several acting programs that the studio provides for professional actor training based on the Meisner Technique. Interested students should visit the acting programs page on the studio website or contact the studio at 917-789-1599 to receive answers to questions they have about professional actor training and acting classes that the studio provides.

The above article Summer Acting Program NYC – Anesia Saunders was first published on Meisner Technique New York

No comments:

Post a Comment