Thursday, May 10, 2018

Meisner Summer Acting Program - Pedro Souza Interview


The Maggie Flanigan Studio is one of the most recognized acting studios in the United States for professional actor training based on the principles of the Meisner technique and Sanford Meisner. In this interview, Pedro Souza discusses the summer acting program and what Meisner actor training has been like at the studio. Q: Pedro, what did you think it meant to train as an actor before you started the six-week summer intensive? A: I grew up watching American movies. I always compared the American actors with Brazilian actors, and I still felt that something was missing there. I think in Brazil, everybody thinks being an actor is just being natural. Here, I realized how much deeper you can go and how much work you have to put into it. Q: Well, what happened during the six-week summer intensive that changed your perspective, that made you realize you could go so much deeper than what you learned in Brazil? Was there a specific part of the class or was there something Charlie said that changed your idea of what it meant to be an actor? A: It was both. I think it was the first day of class; Charlie gave a speech about behavior and all of this. During the night classes, we have a vocal reading; it's like a stanza reading rehearsal. All the time, he came back with, "behavior, behave." I was like, "Oh." When I heard Charlie say that, I was like, "That's it." There is something connected with that. I had an experience in class too that changed everything, and I never felt so truthful in class. I felt like I should call my girlfriend and tell her. I was like, "I got so upset. It felt real to me, but it was in the scene. I never felt this way." It was great. Q: When you're experiencing real emotion- A: Yes. Q: For the first time? A: Without pushing or anything. Just through the contact. Q: What did you learn about yourself during the summer intensive that was a surprise or that changed you? Did you discover a new part of yourself or was there something that Charlie was saying that kept coming up for you that you had never realized before? A: I think, there was the anger. Anger is a bad thing in life. I can always have this anger in life, and it was the first time Charlie said, "Oh, no. You're okay with that." Just follow through with that. After that, I think, it changed me, and I don't hold myself back that way anymore. Now, anger is natural. Q: How would you describe Charlie as a teacher during the summer intensive? A: He was a hard teacher, but that was what I needed. He is not hard actually. He's a fair teacher. If you're working hard, he's fair to you, but if you're lazy, there's no point to be here. Learn more about the Maggie Flanigan Studio and the professional acting programs and acting classes at the studio, by visiting the Maggie Flanigan Studio website or by calling the front desk at 917-789-1599, during daytime business hours. www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/summer-acting-programs/meisn... https://flic.kr/p/24gf95b

No comments:

Post a Comment