Saturday, April 20, 2019

Summer Acting Programs Katie Meirose


Summer Acting Programs - www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/summer-acting-programs/summe... Meisner Summer Acting Programs - Contact Maggie Flanigan Studio - Call (917) 789-1599 The summer acting programs at the Maggie Flanigan Studio include the Meisner Summer Intensive. In this interview, Katie Meirose talks about studying Meisner for the first time. The acting programs at the Maggie Flanigan Studio are founded in the Meisner training technique. Serious students who want to experience Meisner training as originally intended by Sanford Meisner, should apply online and contact the studio at (917) 789-1599 with any questions that they might have about enrollment. youtu.be/0mzEOA_iph0 www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRHidgcTOQ&feature=youtu.be Maggie Flanigan Studio 153 W 27th St #803 New York, New York 10001 +1 917-789-1599 www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ goo.gl/maps/oxqqExybwL32 plus.google.com/100897218937179347163 best acting program new york, best acting program in the U.S., Meisner technique training, Meisner Intensive, summer acting program, meisner summer intensive ================= Q: Katie, what did you think it meant to train as an actor before you started the six-week summer intensive? Before I began the intensive, I really thought that acting was something anyone could do with enough work. After doing the intensive, I really realized that it's an artistry and a craft that you have to create for yourself and really work at. Not everyone has the drive and the ability to be what it means to be a good actor. Q: What happened over the course of the six weeks that changed your perspective on that? I really realized that you can't half-*** anything. You really have to go all in and really work hard. That's the only way it pays off. And that it's important to work to the best of your ability and take yourself very seriously. Q: What did you learn over the course of these past six weeks that was a surprise or that changed you, about yourself? I realized how important this was to me. It really cemented that this is what I love to do, and it's something that I seriously want to continue and want to be good at and want to continue my training with. Q: Have you ever studied Meisner before? I never studied Meisner before this, so it was very different. Q: What is your biggest takeaway that you're taking away specifically from the Meisner technique itself. The thing that is resonating with you the most. I think what I most importantly learned is how important the other person is, and how it is to let other people affect you and not focus so much on yourself as an actor but on those who are with you. Q: You're still in school. You're training in college. Are you [unintelligible 00:01:42] major? Yes, I'm in acting major. I'm getting my BFA. Q: What have you felt the biggest difference was, compared to your training, your BFA program to the training you just went through these past six weeks? My training here has been a lot more intense. It's not that my BFA isn't taken seriously, but the intensity is a lot different. There's a higher expectation and therefore gives me a more desire to grow and to work even harder. Q: There are a lot of summer-intensive programs, a lot of Meisner Summer Intensive programs, especially in Manhattan. Why did you decide to come to Maggie Flanigan Studio? I chose Maggie Flanigan because when I was doing the research, the mission statement really aligned with my personal views of what acting is and should be. I had been told that this was the most accurate approach to Meisner that is available, as far as really doing exactly what Meisner intended and being truthful to his work. Q: Yes, a lot of Meisner teachers put their own spin on [crosstalk]. Yes, they're not really Meisner. Q: There, Maggie and Charlie are teaching it exactly [crosstalk]. Which is what I wanted. Q: What have you found to be unique about your experience here? Is there something like-- You're in school taking classes. I'm sure you've been acting before college. What have you found to be unique about the studio? Working with Charlie has been a very unique experience. I've never worked with a teacher who's quite like him, which has been very refreshing. He expects a lot out of his students, which I think is wonderful and he should. It really makes me rise to the occasion. It's been a really interesting and unique experience, just working with someone who cares so passionately about the art and his students. Q: Which class are you in? I'm in the Meisner acting. Q: The morning, afternoon, or evening? I'm in the evening. Q: The evening? Yes. Q: It's only a six-week program and it feels like a short amount of time, but since you're in class three days a week and working so closely with the other students in your class, how has this sense of community helped you through these six weeks? Well, what's great about being with people who are like-minded is we're all frustrated about the same things, but we all have a really serious desire to push through those frustrations. I've met some really, really wonderful actors who want to do the same thing as me or are just as passionate about me- about it as I am. That's been a really nice experience, to be able to share that and spend so much time with people who really care about what they're doing. Q: You mentioned frustration. There's a lot of highs and a lot of lows when you're going through this program. Was there a particular moment that sticks out for you in your mind, either in the activity, in a rehearsal, where you finally felt like it clicked, or your understanding was really starting to deepen? Definitely when we did the activity and I had to be at the door and walk in. That was really challenging. You don't really realize how difficult it is to be standing up there and having to work off someone. It's not something that you do as much as we like to think in everyday life. As soon as I did that, and I really had an honest truthful experience. I lived to do something. That was the moment that it really clicked. It made sense to me why we were doing the things we were doing. Q: How would you describe Charlie as a teacher? Charlie is passionate, very knowledgeable. He expects a lot out of the students which I appreciate. I don't want to be taught by someone who lets me do the minimum. He certainly does not allow that. He expects the best out of everyone, which allows me to rise to my full potential. Q: What would you say to someone who was thinking about doing the Summer Intensive Program but maybe thought, "Oh, I have BFA. I don't need more training, more-- It's a big time commitment. Financially, I don't know if I can commit to that"? Maybe they were thinking about doing it but were finding a lot of excuses or reasons why they shouldn't. What would you say to that person about coming here? If you're serious about acting as an artist and as a carrier, then training is the most important part. What's going to set you apart is good training. You will receive that here. It's worth the time commitment, it's worth the money because, in such a short time, three or six weeks, I have really- I feel like I've really evolved as an artist and have a greater understanding of what it is and why I'm here, doing what I'm doing. Maggie Flanigan Studio 153 W 27th St #803 New York, New York 10001 +1 917-789-1599 www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ goo.gl/maps/oxqqExybwL32 plus.google.com/112291205845820496849 twitter.com/MeisnerActing www.facebook.com/MeisnerActing/ https://flic.kr/p/24ZwtRV

No comments:

Post a Comment