Crisis in American Acting | Charlie Sandlan | Maggie Flanigan Studio
http://www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/acting-classes-nyc/crisis-in-american-acting/ Charlie Sandlan is the Executive Director and Senior Acting Teacher at Maggie Flanigan Studio and in this video Charlie talks about the crisis of the American actor and acting in this country. So I read an article on Entertainment Weekly the other day that had to do with crisis of the American Actor and acting in this country. It talked about how the influx of British actors in the United States now is extraordinary. More so than it has been probably in the last fifty years. The whole point of the article had to do with American actors and their lack of training. That they don't train. I could not agree more. The focus in this culture has to do with fame and celebrity. All of these wannabe actors, and I call them wannabes who flock to LA and flock to New York, they take these six week film classes and these five week scene study classes. They consider that they are now trained as an actor and wonder why they don’t work. They look at all of these British actors who are doing exceptional work. These actors are creating complicated characters on film and television, on stage and we wonder why that is the case. It is because these British actors are trained. The british actor spends years two - three years working on their voice working on their speech, working on their body, their temperament and their craft. They hone it on the stage. They are piped into a repertoire system in that country that allows them to work for years. So they come over here with impeccable speech. They come here with craft. They have mastered the American dialect and they have simplicity. We wonder why American actors are not working. It is because they don't commit to training. There are very few actors in this country who understand the importance of craft and technique. The ones that do spend years, whether it is in a BFA program or whether it is an MFA program or a two or three year conservatory in New York City. That is the problem with American actors. When actors come to me in their twenties and they say, “Oh, well I want to be working. I don't have time to put two or three years into my career. I am twenty six. I have to start working now.” I laugh. The naiveté is extraordinary. If you want a chance to be working in your thirties, your forties, your fifties, your sixties, if you want the change to do more than three lines on Law and Order or a Gap commercial, you need to train yourself. You need to take the craft seriously. British actors do. They understand it is an art form. I encourage you to read that article. I encourage you to do some self reflection. If you are serious about being an actor then get yourself trained. For more information about acting classes or the Meisner Technique visit our website or call us directly 917 606 0982. acting classes, acting studio, charlie sandlan, maggie flanigan, meisner acting, meisner technique
via YouTube http://youtu.be/8GQmK9j4_Kc
No comments:
Post a Comment