Thursday, October 26, 2017

two year acting program interview candace maxwell


Two Year Acting Program - www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ Best Two Year Acting Program - Call 917-789-1599 The Two Year Acting Program at the Maggie Flanigan Studio is a professional actor training program based on the Meisner Technique. In this interview Candace Maxwell discusses her decision to transition from a professional dancer to an actor and what led her to choose the Maggie Flanigan Studio. Q: Did you study the Meisner technique anywhere else and what was that like for you? A: I was studying the Meisner technique briefly at a studio in Atlanta. It was a good introduction to Meisner training but it was nothing like what we get here. I feel we get every single step that's like making a cake, there's the eggs, there's the oil, there's the banana bread, bananas. I feel what I learned in Atlanta was just thrown at me. Here, Charlie and Karen give it to you step by step by step by step. So specific and so detailed and I didn't understand what that was. Q: What were the specific problems for you that made you decide to seek professional training at the studio? A: Well, the same way that I was a dancer and had an agent who -- I let them know that I wanted to act. They would send me out on auditions and I'd get these lines and I didn't know how to take these lines and turn them into something real. I had no idea, and again, I thought that I could just walk into a room and charm someone. Charm is great. Charm and charisma's awesome but that's not all that it takes. There's so much more. My problem was I didn't know what I was doing. I had no process, I had no understanding of what I was doing. I just knew how to get in front of a camera and get in front of a room of people but I was bringing nothing to the table to be quite honest. I was embarrassed with my work. I wasn't proud of my work and that made me take a lot of step backs, take steps back because I wanted to have a real approach. I have such respect for actors and for what they do and I felt like I was completely disrespecting the art by doing what I was doing by auditioning the way I was. Even seeing other dancers in auditions who don't take it seriously or who don't have the proper etiquette or the execution or the specificity that it takes the same way it does as an actor, they peeve me. They upset me. I want to use another word. [laughs] They upset me. I didn't want to be that actor to other people, and not just for other people but for myself. Q: What were the steps that made you finally make the decision to train professionally? A: I just made a decision that I wanted to shift my career. I wanted to fully transition from a dancer to an actor, but I needed tools to do that. I was going on auditions and failing [chuckles] miserably one after the other and getting amazing opportunities but not following through, not having enough tools in my toolbox to be able to execute. I was taking a class in Atlanta, a Viewpoints class, which for me was a great starting place for someone who has a movement background for an acting class. I was just doing that, and I met a girl who graduated from NYU - she was in the Meisner Program there. And I'm having this heart to heart with her because I'm like, "I really want to do this. What do I do? Do I need to apply to NYU? Do I need to apply to these four-year universities even at my age?" I'll say I'm over 25 [chuckles], "Do I need to put myself in undergraduate position to really learn. Because I need to be immersed in something to fully get it." She said, "I have the perfect place. You should go to the Maggie Flanigan Studio," flat out, that was it. She said, "No need to go to NYU and spend all that money. And that tuition is-- I mean, it's an amazing school and it's outrageous." She said, "Go to Maggie Flanigan, it's two years," she said, "you're going to learn everything that you need to know about acting." Maggie Flanigan Studio 153 W 27th St #803 New York, New York 10001 +1 917-789-1599 www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ goo.gl/maps/oxqqExybwL32 plus.google.com/100897218937179347163 two year acting program, two year acting program in NYC, professional actor training program, meisner technique, acting programs, acting classes, 2 year acting program, two programs for actors, professional actor training https://flic.kr/p/YHYeC9

No comments:

Post a Comment