Sunday, July 15, 2018

new york acting programs - maggie flanigan studio - Ian Hayes 02


Ian Hayes: the First Year in the Acting Program Q: Ian, what did you think the Meisner technique was before you started your training at the studio? A: All I really heard about it was that this is a bunch of repetition and somehow that made you a better actor. I really had no idea. When I decided to come to this school, I talked about it with some people that had done some other acting training. Only a few of them had ever just taken the first year now, but I know and they were like, “It's amazing. Really, the repetition it really teaches you what it is you offer,” or something like that. I don’t know, I thought somehow that was the basis for it. Now, the way I understand it is that the Meisner technique is really a way for you to learn how truthfully do and that repetition is having just the tip of the iceberg. It’s more of a tool as opposed to the technique. Meisner teaches you how to do it in a healthy way, which is what I love about it since it is all rooted in the imagination, which is darkness and it's always changing. I love that about the technique because I thought that I had to be very damaged human being to be a good actor, to have the experience to draw from and Meisner says, “No. As long as you have that healthy imagination, you can put yourself in very traumatizing or joyful experiences,” and like, “That's really what you need to be an actor.” That’s how I see it now. It’s a way back to your inner child to use your imagination and strangely, use your imagination to do it truthfully. Maggie Flanigan Studio 153 W 27th St #803 New York, New York 10001 +1 917-789-1599 www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ goo.gl/maps/oxqqExybwL32 plus.google.com/112291205845820496849 https://flic.kr/p/27NvsR4

No comments:

Post a Comment