Thursday, October 4, 2018

Fall Meisner Intensive Tashima Evans 02 - Maggie Flanigan Studio


The Maggie Flanigan Meisner Intensive trains professional actors based on the teaching and work of Sanford Meisner. In this interview, Tashima Evans discusses with Katie how the Meisner Intensive was different than she expected and how she has redefined for herself what it means to be real and authentic. Q: What did you learn over the course of the six weeks that was a surprise or that changed you? A: That I needed training. I came into it thinking, "Well, I'm going to do this class and then I'm just going to put it on my resume. I don't even need to move forward in anyway." Just how much I needed to unlearn and grow as an actor and how I had emotional blocks in places I wasn't even aware of. I feel like that was a big thing for me, but then also to be more of myself and be real and authentic. Q: How has your experience at Maggie Flanigan Studio been different from other classes and other studios where you have studied? A: I will say that I did take away things that were good from other situations or experiences that I had because it can to where I am, but I feel before, I was playing at acting. I wasn't tried and right coming from my heart and my soul more. I feel like being here and studying at Maggie and studying with Charlie has taught me how to bring my soul forward, and it is not a thing that I'm playing at but being real and being authentic. I feel like that's the difference, not being-- also, about Charlie, is Charlie's not trying to sugarcoat anything. He's keeping it all the way real. I even tell people that the thing that he's noticed about me and about things that I'll do and how it materializes in class, I'm not even aware. He's been so on point and accurate in a way that no other acting coach has done with me before. I feel like this is where it's about the artistry, it's about the craft. It's about respecting it, and it's not about, "Let's see what jobs you're going to book." No, it's like, "No. Where's your heart? Where's your soul? Where's the feeling?" Q: How would you describe Charlie as a teacher? A: Well, he's rough. There were moments in the beginning, as I was getting to know him, that he doesn't even know this, but I was p***** off at him. I could think in my head like, "I'm going to walk out." I'm telling myself, calming myself down and turning, "I'm going to walk out," but I realized I need his teaching style. It's not going to be about making you feel good, it's going to be about the truth, and sometimes, the truth hurts. It doesn't always feel good. I feel like Charlie has a respect for the craft, respect for the art, and he's not about making people feel good. It can be rough sometimes. I've seen people and myself cry because of that. To learn more about the acting programs at the Maggie Flanigan Studio, including the Meisner Intensive, visit the acting programs and registration pages on the studio website URL. Interested students should contact the studio during business hours to schedule an admissions interview. Call (917) 789-1599. Maggie Flanigan Studio 153 W 27th St #803 New York, New York 10001 +1 917-789-1599 www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/ goo.gl/maps/oxqqExybwL32 plus.google.com/112291205845820496849 https://flic.kr/p/2bCbB51

No comments:

Post a Comment