Friday, September 11, 2020

two year acting program belen cusi 04


Q: How did the sense of community affect your experience this year in the studio and classes on Zoom? I'd say both experiences in person and online have shown the importance of having an artistic community. I've always been very much of a lone wolf, and I came into Maggie, like I said, pretty emotionally unavailable and very focused on my career path and the only things that I was doing. It took me a couple of months to warm up to the people in my class to open myself up. That's why I came to Maggie. I wanted to be surrounded by other artists, by other people on the path. I found it invaluable to have that energy and not only speaking virtually once we went online, but it also gave me that connection, that life support to my artistic life that I wouldn't have had otherwise. It became super, super important, not only watching my peers work and getting their feedback, but my work being observed by my peers and just growing together. It gives you comfort that you're not alone on this path and that the struggles and the doubts that you're experiencing are similar to your person. Q: What was your experience finishing up the first year online via Zoom and the virtual platform? Yes. The example I always give is a silly one, but if you've ever had to break up with someone and you were like when we were younger, when do I do it via text or call or in person or at least call them. Then we had Skype, and it was like FaceTime, and it was just as freaking scary as seeing them in person. I make the same comparison because we have video, and because I see your face and the contact is, I would say 95% real contact. We don't have the physical spontaneity, and so I've just found the work to translate beautifully to the camera. We're human beings, we adapt, we've gotten used to it, and so much of the industry's work will involve these screens that I completely embraced it. I found that having to do the work by myself was harder, yes, and it challenged me to go deeper. It's making me better because I have to focus more. I have to manage myself better, and I have to go deeper with the work, and I'm thrilled. I'm delighted that I took that on, and I'm looking forward to doing the second year online. Right now, there isn't another option, and that's why I encourage anyone who's on the fence about it you get plugged into this great community. You're getting the training, and it's more or less very equal to what would have been in person, and you can do it from wherever you are. I think it's a blessing. I think it's a blessing, and I speak very highly of it. It's a good experience. Q: Did you feel like Charlie's expectations and standards changed because the classes were online? I think Charlie handled an unprecedented and wildly confusing situation with so much poise and vulnerability and honesty with us and gave us space and empathy when we were transitioning. Once we reestablished, this is the way things will be online, and Charlie was Charlie, and he is holding us accountable for our work, and I wanted that. He's never faltered in his standards with us and continues to push us even harder now because of the extra effort required to work on this platform. To learn more about the two-year acting program and the studio's online acting classes, visit the studio website and contact the studio with any question by calling (917) 789-1599. https://flic.kr/p/2jFqaVK

No comments:

Post a Comment