Sunday, September 5, 2021

Summer Acting Program - Maggie Flanigan Studio 01 - (917) 789-1599


Summer Acting Program - Maggie Flanigan Studio 01 Q: What is it about the Meisner technique that resonates so much with you? Well, I like the foundation of the Meisner program, where you are using your imagination. I like that. I think that since I've been in the program for most-- well, finishing my first year, that my imagination has gotten bigger, broader. I believe that as an actor, it's all about creativity. It's all about the behavior, and that's precisely what Meisner pulls out of you, that imagination. But, again, the struggle, in terms of just what can I imagine, daydreaming, listening, taking in, that's all Meisner. In terms of the actor that I hope to be, I want to push, no hat acting. I want to be the number one, the number two, the number three, four on the callback sheet, and Meisner will prepare you for that very intense training but rewarding at the same time. Q: What do you think has been the most significant transformation for you? I've had this conversation with one of my classmates. I think that it's changed every aspect of my life, Katie. [laughs] Considering I started this program right in the pandemic. Add that, on top of everything, but in terms of just my professional life, I had to learn to balance more because I am a teacher. I found out that wait a minute, I'm not the most organized person, don't tell anybody, but I'm not. So when you are taking this training, you are forced to be more organized. You are, and that's a good thing. It forces you to look at who you are as a person, is what I'm saying. Also, looking at the man in the mirror or the woman in the mirror. Also, in terms of just everyday life, how I look at movies. Katie, when I tell you, I can't even look at television the same way anymore. When I look at I'm like, "Okay, behavior. Is she creating behavior? No. Is she acting?" I'm always going through, "Oh, is she taking in--" You're going through these questions. It's awesome. Because if you're able to start seeing that behavior, you're able to make those changes when it's your turn. Do you know what I mean? When it's class time, you're ready to go. All of that is helping to improve your training, your experiences. It has forced me not only how I view television, but how I view the world in terms of I was always-- I used to think that I was a pretty competent person, but then I realized that maybe I'm not as confident as I thought I was. So there are certain instances in my life where I've been more submissive, "Oh, I'm not going to say anything. I'm a peacemaker." Now, oh, boy. After class with Charlie, we're like, "Oh, we're standing up for ourselves. Hey, wait a minute. I wouldn't say I like that. I'm standing up for myself. This is not okay." It's so funny, but it's so real at the same time. It's so many different ways that Meisner has helped me grow more into myself, not only as an actor but just as a person, as a human being. https://flic.kr/p/2mmmRA7

No comments:

Post a Comment