Sunday, September 5, 2021

Summer Acting Program - Maggie Flanigan Studio 01 - (917) 789-1599


Summer Acting Program - Maggie Flanigan Studio 01 Q: You made an excellent point that we can't ignore. You decided to start this program in the middle of the pandemic. What made you decide to take this on right now? For me, honestly, Katie, the pandemic was a time for me to reflect. Acting has always been a passion of mine. Growing up, I'm from Baltimore City, initially went to college in Boston. Growing up in Baltimore, I didn't see many actors that look liked me, a lot of actors of color, especially actors, because I am biracial. I'm half African American, half Asian. However, that's even more complex, but I didn't see people that look like me on camera. I had a chance to really-- I read a book, and it was called The Purpose Driven Life book by Rick Warren, an excellent read. Yes, fantastic read. It was you confronting who you are, where your destiny is. Are you happy? Why not? Blah, blah, blah. I realized that the whole time I've been running from myself, why am I settling for less in the sense of yes, teaching, I love, but, Katie, it's not what drives me. It's not in the blood. It doesn't get me up in the morning. It doesn't get those butterflies. When you start dating someone, you're like, "Well, I got butterflies." Acting gives me butterflies like, "Oh my God." Do you know what I mean? Again, what I feel that my destiny is. I just literally said, "You know what, here we go, let's start, let's do it." Q: How would you describe Charlie as a teacher? If you wouldn't mind expanding on that one word a little bit. Yes, I can give you some adjectives. Charlie is intense. Charlie is amazing. Charlie's a genius. Yes, a genius. Charlie is supportive. Charlie believes in you, but he pushes you. It's so funny; there's this cliche here; I go with the cliches. He doesn't know p*** on your leg and tells you it's raining. He doesn't. He tells you the truth, whether you like it or not. That's what you want. You don't want someone to pat you on the back, "Good job, Tan," even though you really-- We all love feedback. However, I want feedback that I know is truthful. That's going to help push me. As I said, I want to be number one, two-- I'm going on record to say. Number one, two, three, four on the callback sheet. You want someone like Charlie, who is very knowledgeable number one, extremely knowledgeable of the craft. He takes art very seriously. He demands that, and I'm going to stamp that. He insists that of his students, and that's what you want. But, at the same time, it's so funny because when I need-- Katie, you know how many times I have reached out to you, "Hey, I need to talk to Charlie, oh my God." How many times I've said that, and every time, "Okay, Tan, Charlie can be with you tomorrow." That's awesome. That's a teacher who gives a crap about you, who cares and wants you to bring out the best. You don't find that everywhere. Unfortunately, we live in a world where it's all about this, all about the moolah. So I get the business aspect too. But, of course, Charlie always says, number one, it is a business, but it's also an art form. So having Charlie as my teacher, and as I said, I've had a few other teachers, but I know I'm in good hands. I know he cares, he cares, he wants you to be that number one, number two, number three, on the callback sheet, he wants you to love what you're doing to embrace that struggle, and he shows you how. He gives you this process of the Meisner technique to make sure that it's helping you grow. That you're learning, that you are getting better, that you want to be the best, he gives you the tools to do it, and at the same time, he's not going to provide you with that pat on the head, but as Charlie would say, "You're on the right track." I could not have asked, dreamed of a better teacher; he's what keeps me coming back, even when I'm like, "Oh God," I'm like, "I don't know, maybe I should just drop out." I've had those days, but then I'm like, "Let me reach out to Charlie." He's always right there. Maggie Flanigan Studio 147 W. 25th St. 5th Floor New York, NY 10001 (917) 789-1599 www.maggieflaniganstudio.com/new-york-ny www.google.com/maps?cid=17904951966372592922 twitter.com/MeisnerActing www.facebook.com/MeisnerActing/ meisneracting10001.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/index.html maggieflaniganstudio.business.site/ www.pearltrees.com/maggieflaniganstudio https://flic.kr/p/2mmmRAs

No comments:

Post a Comment